1. The words and phrases below will appear in the text. Use the various study modes to get used to the words. Enjoy!
2. Read the paragraphs below. Choose the correct words to fill in the blanks.
3. Read the text and answer the questions. Good luck!
Eating more plant based foods is healthy. It could also reduce farming’s greenhouse gas emissions by more than 50%.
The United Nations (UN) recently told people to make changes to their lifestyles. They said we do not have much time to save the planet. We must stay below 1.5C of warming. To do this, we have to have zero carbon emissions by 2050. If it gets warmer than this, many millions of people may die.
The population will grow to ten billion by 2050. To feed this population, we need to eat mostly plant based diets. If we do not, we will destroy the planet.
This is the message from 23 scientists around the world. They say we must eat less meat now. The study says we must:
- Eat 75% less beef.
- Eat 90% less pork.
- Eat 50% less eggs.
The study says we must also:
- Eat 300% more beans and pulses.
- Eat 400% more nuts and seeds.
The scientists want people need to change their behavior. But, this is very difficult to do.
Governments will need to tax meat and label products. They also need to offer plant based meals in schools and hospitals.
These changes will not be easy. However, they are essential to save the planet.